Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Now playing: Go-Go Dancer by the Pizzicato Five

Had a big ol' class today: Melvin and I combined for some joint group exercises. It worked pretty well. We are going to do it again tomorrow, when Otis and I get to tag-team-teach. I have put together a module on critical thinking strategies, and Otis does a piece on whole body learning. It should be a pretty cool in-your-head, out-of-your-head thing happening.

I am feeling like a proper teacher again. I have been responding to papers and assignments, planning lessons, writing syllabi, and generally getting all geared up. (I am also
already finding it difficult to carve out time for biking, but that's another post.) This class also marks the first time I ever considered teaching high school. About a third of the class is still in high school, and probably another third (at least) just graduated, and it's still fun, so I guess secondary ed might not be a complete wasteland for me.

For those of you who can't get enough blog action and like to check frequently, try bloglines.com and see if you like it. It's a way to check one spot to see if any blogs to which you have "subscribed" have new posts. I've been using it, as has Just Jon, and it seems to work pretty well.(Still no way
that we've found to check for new comments, though.)

And while I'm recommending web-based services, check this out: librarything.com, a new online book cataloguer. Totally cool.

3 comments:

wheylona said...

How funny, I had a dream about teaching high school last night, something I too had never considered.

You're quite productive there, and it sounds like you're having a ball--I hope the quarter goes well for you, and all you other teachers out there.

I tried bloglines way back, and although it's a cool service I found that it took me longer to check my feeds on blogline that it did to just cruise over to the limited number of sites I visit regularly. Mostly because I'd get distracted by all the other things I could look at on bloglines!

Anonymous said...

A big wet one to all who welcomed me with such wide-open arms (especially Dar-Dar herself -- whose arms are all for me from now on!). The kharma just keeps on coming...

Anonymous said...

Both of your presentations were grand today. I can't wait to see the version with the brain and body suits!