Friday, September 23, 2005

New zoo revue

So, even though I have been on the Ridge for two years now, the first time I went to see my animal neighbors (other than the gang at Sully's) was today, when Otis and I went up to the zoo, ostensibly to see the Australian budgerigar exhibit, or Willawong Station. Well, in a typical tactical misstep, Willawong is only open on weekends, and weekends don't include Fridays. But, we saw a lot of other critters. (Click for poppy goodness.)

This is the African savannah exhibit, which is pretty cool in that the main viewing station is set up to look like a village center, complete with well and school and residences,



This is for Johnbai. I don't know how hungry they are, though.



This is me with Chai, the oh-so-precious juvenile elephant.


The best part of the zoo visit had nothing to do with animals, however. As we were walking to the gorilla exhibit we passed a dad and his young son. The dad was telling the kid, who was looking at the map, that they were going to go see the penguins. With the best of intentions, I told the dad that the penguin exhibit was closed. The kid heard me and started bawling. And didn't stop. All the way down the path, standing in front of the gorillas, leaving the gorillas, the kid was wailing like a banshee, and not a happy one, but one that was very sad at not getting to see the penguins, and who might have been having a bad day before that as well. I just tried to be invisible. The last I saw of them, the dad was on his mobile making some other arrangements for the afternoon's activities. Good job, Walaka!

So, I'm not a big fan of zoos to begin with, but the animals looked okay and they seemed to have room and stuff, so it was a pretty good time.

Oh, and this morning, while I was sitting in a three-hour English department meeting, Otis had her first stint in the student clinic at Brenneke. Yay, Otis -- another step closer to license!

And only 69 miles left to the grand after riding to the meeting today. Anyone in for 10/2 festivities?

1 comment:

John said...

awesome hippos dude