Friday, September 09, 2005

Litany

Baby corn: Okay, so it looks like I'm the outlier on this one! Fully 50% of those responding to the poll so far say they actually like this tiny yellowish comestible; 70% eat it, with either gusto or resignation. So apparently the wider world has indeed embraced this strange little vegetable.

Baby corn also appears to be a lightning-rod issue of sorts. In addition to the poll responses and comments, it has resulted in more than one email to me personally. Hmm... I wonder what results I would get for a Google (tm) search on "baby corn" AND Illuminati...

Eyes: I went to the doctor today, as did Just Jon - but since I already did all the blood draws and whatnot, I was going just to the eye doctor. The verdict: I am going to have "progressive" lenses, the 21st century answer to bifocals. The have distance prescription on the top, close up prescription on the bottom, and a gradient in between - no lines or sudden changes. I tried Gweekers's on when we were in Spokane, and they are really weird until you get used to them. But I should be able to leave them on and look at my class, the computer screen, the board, and my notes -- no my taking my glasses on and off all the time.

Neighborhoods: Soapy's imminent move will put him, in his words, "on the cusp of Broadview and Greenwood." This got me thinking about boundaries and neighborhoods and such, and since I am a bit of an anal-retentive about such things, I sought out the City of Seattle Neighborhood Atlas (which does indeed agree with the Soapster's assessment). The map carries the usual disclaimer that it is not definitive, but it does give a great starting place for discussion and perception checks.

Next Friday: Twilite Bowling at Leilani Lanes, on the cusp of Broadview and Greenwood! Folks can meet at my place for late dinner/snacks, then we can head up and see where Soapy is going to live, and then we can hit the lanes at 10:00 pm (and the LMP students can join us after their class). Expect an email.

Advance planning: On Saturday morning, November 12, the radio quiz show "Says You" will be taping at MoHI. I'm going to get tockets and I'll get a couple extras ($25). Let me know if you want in on this; I'll be getting them tomorrow (Saturday).

No comments: