Sunday, September 04, 2005

Home again, home again

We are back in the City after our Inland Empire loop. Good times at the cabin, although it was too cool to really play in the river or anything like that. Interesting set-up there: no plumbing but it's wired for electricity. So, it's use the outhouse and pack in your own jugs of water, but you can work on your laptop and watch movies and have a space heater to ward off the mountain chill. (There's a nice fireplace, too.)

I had made some noise (mostly static) about going out tonight, but we got home too grimy and too tired to do more than think about it.

We did head down the street for Asian dinner, and picked up some flyers for the units at the Arson Arms Condos. The 2bd/2ba is half a million; the studio can be had for the bargain price of $350K. Gee, I never knew I lived in such a nice neighborhood.

I just want to say huzzah to my blogmates, particularly Wheylona, for their insightful, emotional, and informative posts on the disaster in NOLA. I haven't said much (anything) about it here, only because I thought it out of character for this forum, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been on my consciousness: most particularly in an acute awareness (along with Otis) of my own position of privilege in being able to assess / evaluate / discuss / respond from safety and comfort.

1 comment:

John said...

ditto your comments regarding the debacle and the tragedy of New Orleans.