Thursday, June 02, 2005

A moving experience

So, helping with Johnbai's 150-ft. move was an easy way to earn some pizza and pilsener. Especially since neither he nor I (nor Otis or Di) broke any more phalanges.

Before the move, Otis and I went to an Indian lunch buffet. It made me wonder why certain cuisines seem to feature buffets and others don't. I mean, putting aside the Old-Family-Buffet-anything-goes places, you see a lot of Chinese buffets and Indian buffets, but has anyone seen a Thai buffet or Mexican buffet or Italian buffet (besides Izzy's pizza buffet: that doesn't count)? What about a Pho buffet - that would be weird, wouldn't it?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mexican restaurant on Broadway near Mercer(named "Cantina" something or other) has a lunch buffet. Have not attended personally so cannot attest to tastiness.

Anonymous said...

mmmm...Pho...that would be cool...Doesn't El Prez down here have a lunch buffet?

Walaka said...

What would a pho buffet look like? Lots of little bowls and some big tureens to spoon from? Big piles of soy sprouts and cilantro?

John said...

The Mexican buffet at the Broadway Cantina is pretty good actually. And there's a brunch buffet across the street at Galerias on Sundays. There's a nifty Thai buffet at the all-vegetarian Thai place in the U-District... I think they just moved into a new location close to I-5 and 45th. And there's a sushi buffet on the top floor of Pacific Place... but I think it's spendy. But what I really want is a Mongolian Barbeque that includes mushrooms and tofu in lieu of 8 kinds of meat.