Sunday, October 28, 2007

Something is amiss

So, if I am spending all this time on campus now, why was I at Tully's at eight this morning, and why was I reading papers there until noon, and why did I have to do some more this afternoon? And in 24 hours, I will have fifty more papers to read, on top of the fifty reading journals I have barely made a dent in, and when will I do those, since I have four meetings in my off-hours this week? I need to adjust my calculations, I think.

Nonetheless, we did have time today to do a little running around and complete the grocery shopping trip that was aborted when I left my wallet on the bus last Thursday. And Otis made four soups - soup all week! - red lentil coconut, yellow split pea, creamy roasted vegetable, and corn chowder. Mm, mm, good!

And we watched the first installment of Heat of the Sun, a British miniseries that aired as a part of Mystery on PBS back in 1999. Set in 1931, it concerns a Scotland Yard Superintendent, fallen from grace, who finds himself assigned to the Criminal Investigations Unit for the Nairobi Police in Kenya, then a British colony. It has a pretty good mystery and lots of tough-guy action, layered over with examinations of colonialism and all the other -isms that ran so freely with it. It's a fascinating period piece with a sympathetic protagonist (and a Beryl Markham stand-in).


Photo credit: Tony Nutley

No comments: