Sunday, October 14, 2007

Addendum

A while ago, Yojimbo asked* for suggestions for the name of his soon-to-be-unveiled** (we hope) all-movie blog. Instead of posting our suggestions to his blog, where he can edit them***, Otis and I present you the (mostly) unexpurgated**** results of our brainstorming session, which was held at 70 mph***** on I-90 westbound****** between Ritzville and Moses Lake.

Screen gems
Rushes
The Reel deal
The Projection Booth
Now, That’s a Movie!
Sprocket Holes
The Concession Stand
CineMaven
Red Curtains
Please Extinguish Your cell Phones
Screen Slut
Talking Pictures
Venting my Screen
Reel to Real
Real to Reel
Reel, Too Real!
Bjork’s Swan Dress
Cinema Archipelago
The Lean, Mean, Screenin’ Machine
Film Farts
The Academy of Motion Picture Farts and Sciences
The Celluloid Closet

*Well, begged is more like it, but I’m polite.

**But you know that verbal promises aren't worth the paper they are written on.

***And does anyone else feel slightly put out by that barely-polite notice from Blogger when you post over there?

****The word expurgate is often used interchangeably with bowdlerize and censor, but I think each one actually has a different connotation, although the denotations are admittedly similar.

*****And if you believe that, I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you.

******Although technically a vehicle on this roadway is traveling more southward than westward for long stretches

1 comment:

"Yojimbo_5" said...

Oooooh, I get it: PARODY!

Bwa-hahahahahahahahahahahah-*

Wait, it IS parody, isn't it?

Not a derision, a farce, a lampoon, misrepresentation, mockery, pastiche, play-on, raillery, rib, roast, satire...(*braking squeal* Hold on, "Rib Roast?" yum!) send-up, skit, take-off, or travesty?

Well, to the subject--the blog DOES have a name. I've been building it. It's not ready yet, but I want to thank Olaiya Land for her inspiration of it (however unbeknownst--she's thinking right now: "What did I SAY?!")

I'll have to do a blog post about my own ideas tossed aside, but in your list there are a bunch that I really like and of a similar vein to what I was thinking of (the Real/Reel juxtaposition, FI). "The Projection Booth" is a little too close to David Edelstein's "The Projectionist" (which is quite a good blog!). "Sprocket Holes" is close to one of mine-"SPROCKETS!"- but Mike Myers would have had a case...and a cow. "The Concession Stand" - I don't make concessions. "Red Curtains"--nice image, but, again, Baz Luhrmann would have had, etc. "Please Extinguish Your Cell-Phones" I like a lot---wish I'd thought of it. Ditto "Venting My Screen." and "Bjork's Swan Dress" is kinda the direction I went with, though not nearly as "meta."

Hmm, the WV is "flmjl." That could have been a good one.

Wait a minute--your post? If its to be a TRUE parody, you would have added a LOT more commas! And the occasional finger-slip on the keynoard--ANd the caps-shift mistakes.