Monday, October 15, 2007

Self-defense blogging



So, last night Otis happened upon some other art blogs, and decided that hers needed updating. Tonight, she decided to address that need. The short movie above could be extended from a minute or so to two hours, and would still be an accurate representation of her activities tonight. Check out the Quiet Girl Gallery later and see what-all she has been working on.


I haven't minded Otis's being focused and ignoring me tonight. I was a little tired, so I took care of some business and then settled in to read - a proper book, with pages and everything. I have been working my way through Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, a birthday gift from J-Force. Bryson is one of my favorite writers, and this book does not disappoint. Maybe it's because we are near enough in age to have a significant overlap of experience, but Bryson's memoir of growing up is both familiar and fantastically funny. I swear to god, I have been laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my face, my sides ached, and I felt like I might puke. At times, I couldn't even make it through a sentence at one go, collapsing into paroxysms of laughter at his choice of a word, then barely recovering and trying to continue reading, merely to fall apart again at the next word. It's really that funny. Thanks, J!


I forgot mention that we watched an Eddie Izzard video - a recording of a performance at Albert Hall from 1994. It was fairly mainstream - he only talked a little about TV stuff, and the big finale was a Star Trek piece - but he was clever and engaging. Odd observation: During the show, I thought and was about mention, only to be pre-empted by Otis's actual mention, that Eddie Izzard puts one strongly in mind of Wheylona. He has the same mannerisms and cadence of speech, including the low-volume/high-pitched voice used for internal dialogue made audible. Seriously, man, it was spooky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG- maybe Eddie Izzard is Wheylona's alter ego. You ever notice that we never see Eddie around or on TV when she is in town? Coincidence? I think not!

Laughing so hard you puke is way too cool.....almost as wonderful as chocolate milk shooting out your nose....

wheylona said...

Mel!! Shhhhhhhhhhh! I am NOT Eddie Izzard. Although we are both devilishly handsome and have a wicked sense of humor, we are clearly different: he looks way better in a dress.

Anonymous said...

And you are far more wicked!!!!