Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Birthdays: the welcome distraction

I didn't get a whole lot of school work done today, but I'm not going to complain aboutmy being busy or anything like that: The day was full of birthday celebrations!

Otis started it off my decorating the house with crepe paper and festive posters, so that while I was stumbloing around in the dark etting ready for class, I already had a smile on my face.

I did have to teach two classes this mornings, and biked to and from work to warm up for the Ultimate Ride for season 2006 (see below). When I got home, we had a yummy post-breakfast of sesame crunch waffles at Sunlight. Mmmmmmm.



A little bit later, we loaded the bikes on Red Renty and drive down to Gasworks Park, just so the last ride of the year didn't have a big hill at the end. Otis led the way as we cruised up the Burke to Bothell; I had no idea what I was in for, and it turned out to be a delicious Thai lunch with Stella!



As if that repast were not enough, we determined to have dessert. Luckily, downtown Bothell has a donut shop that exists in some sort of time-stasis field in which it's always 1973. We stopped in to enjoy the ambience and have some of the house specialities.



Lard, processed flour, and sugar: the taste that says "doughnut goodness."

Thus fortified, Otis and I made the trek back to the RD, dampened by the rain but with spirits high. I received, made, missed or returned birthday calls with my sisters NJ & Lin, with Dingo, and with the Putnams, and read bloggish good wishes from Yojimbo and Just Jon (who moved the observance up a few hours to coincide with K's).

Of course, we needed to go out to dinner as well, and Nana's Soup House is never a bad bet! And Otis gave me a super book (that you'll read about on the comix blog) and some comixy art of me.

To cap the evening off: grocery shopping at Safeway! (Well, we needed to do it, but it was kinda fun anyway.)

Now I need to wrap up this fun day and prepare to re-enter the world of teacherly responsibilities tomorrow. before I go, I thought I'd share this blast from the past. Since Yojimbo posted a picture from my Miami Vice period (I think it must come from 1987 or so), here's one from my cowboy-boot-wearing, motorcycle-riding, ESL-teaching phase (circa 1996):



Thanks for all the good wishes everyone! And thanks for a great day, Otis!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeans AND hair.....it took me a few minutes..yet then the attitude coming from the look on your face clued me in....the tie was quite fetching as well.

wheylona said...

Nice pic! I'm gonna save it. ;-)

Happy birthday, walaka dear!

xoxo

Let the Libra Birthday Parade begin!

Maggie said...

Happy Birthday Dearie!
Mags

Anonymous said...

Nice tie. :)


Soapy

John said...

Happy birthday dood. I finally bought a bicycle pump and a cheap lock (for keeping honest people honest as my dear father would say.) Maybe we can go for a libra bicycle ride if the weather permits.

I need to come over soon with the hardware to fix yer goshdern bannister.

Anonymous said...

Damn my eyes, I missed the day to add my own well wishes and big hugs. I DO however remember the hair, now that it has been reminded to me. Still a handsome imp...Darcy