Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The flutterby effect

Airport duty was completed early this a.m. with only minor delays. Even the too-little-sleep muzziness could not keep me from apprehending, as we watched our movie about unintended consequences in class this morning, that Ashton Kucher pretty much sucks. Not in a dreadful, scrub-your-eyes, Adam Sandler/Pauly Shore kind of way, but more in the well, meh, Keanu Reeves/Ben Affleck kind of way.

Otis got off her draconian diet as of 3:00 pm today, so we went to Araya's for dinner to celebrate with tofu!

Other than that, I mostly taught.

Here's a link: Maroon was (is?) an experimental web comic in 52 installments. This is the first episode; you can read all of them by navigating through the nexts. The story had something of an arc to it, although the ending was rather unsatisfactory to me; the real magic is in the playing with the idiom that Derik Badman, the creator, engages in throughout the course of the narrative. It is a real study in comics formalism.

1 comment:

Walaka said...

Derik:

Hi! I hope you understood that I loved what you did with the strip. Overall, the project was great - and some of the individual episodes were stunning. I look forward to your next project. Good luck!

(Oh yeah - I fixed the spelling of your name in the post.)