Friday, August 04, 2006

Everybody's working for the weekend

Well, my work week is over - except for the homework, of course. Not too much this weekend: just 30 short papers and 12 long papers. And some reading, a follow-up to an in-progress portfolio, two syllabi, some book orders, some class evals and some student evals.

And, of course, I have to do my bills, post my comix blog, and get some B2K miles in. But that leaves plenty of time for movies tomorrow and brekkies with Mikey and Gweekers. Ya gotta love it.

Yesterday, my classes watched the thrilling conclusion of The Butterfly Effect, and the directors cut contained an element that i had to say I had never seen in a movie before. Highlight the end of this sentence if you don't want the spoiler: FETAL SUICIDE. I'm just sayin', that's hardcore.

After class, I rode up to Capitol Hill, and it wasn't as much of a challenge as I had thought; it was more like the Stone Way upgrade or the Fremont to Phinney climb, both of which I do easily. Maybe I'll head up there more. After messing about a bit (and being treated to lunch by Dingo), I rolled down the hill to visit Zanadu comics downtown. I hadn't been there in a while, but I think I'm going to start making it my regular stop again, even though it's a bit out of the way. It's just such a fine store, with a great selection and really knowledgeable and helpful staff. I first started shopping there in 1981 with Yojimbo, and he has been going there constantly since then.

The evening held shopping of a different sort: since Otis was off her blood-sugar readjustment diet, we could actually go out and buy food, not just brown rice. My original plan had been to complete a Trader Joe's - Whole Foods - Safeway trifecta, looking for cool-and-cheap, organic/exotic, and staples at each place. Instead we decided to try the Ballard Market, which came recommended as a pretty good comprehensive supermarket. It was pretty nifty, but it felt a little alien and didn't quite have the selection in some products (oh, how I laugh at myself - there must have been 30,000 things there). Let's just leave it at it felt funny shopping in a new store. Anyhow, we got all kinds of good stuff, inlcuding breakfast cereal, and I think I'll go have some now.

No comments: