Thursday, August 31, 2006

Death from a thousand cuts

Well, nothing quite so drastic, really, but I was thinking about how this summer won't just up and end for me. NSCC is over, but last week and this week I had three night classes; next week I only have two classes; the week after, I have the express class in the day and one leftover night class; then just the express class; then the Fall quarter starts in earnest. So it keeps on dribbling on. My energy level is dropping but I can't let go completely, since I still have portfolios to evaluate' Ah, grumble-mumble-adjunct teaching-grumble. At least I got a lot done yesterday on my fall prep work.

And there's a full-time teaching job I'll be applying for. Long shot, but worth a letter.

I do have to say, though, that all my summer classes have been absolutely great. I don't know if it's been the luck of the draw or what, but the students are all engaged and keen on learning and fun to be with. My writing class last night was doing presentations and I actually enjoyed myself listening and watching. Good times.

Meanwhile, I forsook my ride yesterday so Otis and I could walk around Green Lake. It had been a while since we'd been down there, except over on the library side. I think we may make that our standard off-season activity. (I tend to divide the year into two seasons: April 1 through October 3 - the biking season - and October 4 thought September 30, the off-season. These roughly corresponded to the two busy teaching quarters and the two lighter teaching quarters, and match my own fiscal/budget year, which runs October through September.)

Speaking of activities, I don't see this day-hike idea getting much traction so far - either that or I'm out of the loop. I'd like to offer up as an alternative biking the Burke-Gilman and Sammamish River trails in one day. It would be maybe a 55-mile day altogether, if we went from the Ballard Freddy's all the way to Marymoor Park and back. We could bring a picnic and make a whole day of it - I'll even pull the trailer and we can bring badminton or something. Any takers?

And here's out little internet pleasure of the day: there seems to be a new PBS special on names, and the website has a check-how-popular-your surname-is dealie on it. I have checked most of the gang, and precious few of us crack the top 55,000 (which is as far as the search goes). You can also look at the U.S. Census Bureau results, which vary slightly.

4 comments:

Jon Myers said...

79 on the Soc Sec list and 101 on the census - and it was higher than the alternative spellings that people usually give it. Not surprising with the number of immigrants of German and Jewish ancestry here in the US. From what I can gather, it is almost as popular in Germany as 'Smith' is here and in the UK.

Pkahkog - what I could change my last name to in order to drop out of the rankings altogether.

Maggie said...

Hmmm...higher than I thought. 4131 on SS and 3736 on census

John said...

Since I actually know everyone named Streimikes in the United States, I wasn't surprised about not making the list.

You should come out to the park tonight. Olaiya promises to bring yummy leftovers from the Boat Street Cafe. They're closed for the 3 day weekend and have to empty out their fridge to our benefit.

Courtney Putnam said...

Putnam is number 1836.

BTW, did y'all know I'm related to this guy ?