Friday, October 21, 2005

Blah-ging in Yucky-ma

So here we are in the Clarion Motel and Conference Center in Yakima. I have a conference tomorrow - not here at the center, but at Yakima Valley CC. We just came back to the room from what was quite possibly the worst dinner I have ever had.

We walked across the street to a Chinese restaurant - the Golden Something. Reading the menu was the first clue - there were almost no vegetarian items, and the word "tofu" was nowhere to be found. Otis decided to go with vegetable chow mein and flexitarian me chose fried rice. Here came the second clue: the waitress warned me about the rice. She told me that the chicken "was like the lunchmeat kind." I told her to bring me the rice without any chicken. We should have just dropped our waters and run away.

Otis's chow mein was a barely distinguishable pile of gelatinous vegetable matter (mostly celery) spread over some limp "crispy" noodles. Her steamed rice was Uncle Ben's. My fried rice - Uncle Ben's with Liquid Smoke poured on it - had little rubbery chunks of pressed chicken parts strewn through it. And nothing else - no peas, no carrots, no onions.

It was awful. We ate it. We drank the tea from Denny's coffee cups and left. There are even more details to share, but I just can't bear it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Did the sighn outside say "Chinese Food" or Chinese PRISON Food."

I can't believe W passed up an opportunity to go all-Jack Nicholson on the waitress.

"You want me to HOLD the chicken."

"I WANT you to HOLD it between yer KNEES."

Farmer Scott, the other Wild and Grazy Guy, and I went to see "Good Night and Good Luck" last night. Great movie. But, BOY, did I want a CIGARETTE!!

Anonymous said...

What conference are you at?

I am shocked about the food, Yakima is so well known for their high quality cuisine.

Ned said...

Mel's Diner! I've got the t-shirt as a momento of an already memorable trip. First steak and eggs ever.