Saturday, May 21, 2005

Odds and ends

Weather!

Man, has this weather been weird or what? These twenty-minute torrential downpours are just something else -- particularly when they pass by and leave sunshine behind as if they had never been there. I must say my luck has been split about 50-50 on this - I have missed it as much as I have gotten caught. The other day, I drove to Edmonds for class in the sunshine and went in the class room at 7:20; it started to pour just then, but cleared up just before 8:20 when class was over. That was pretty cool. Of course, when I went to Children's Hospital for a meeting the other day, the rain opened up just as I got out of the car in the parking lot and stayed constant while I wandered the campus looking for the meeting place. It stopped when I found the right building.

Anyway, according to the internets, it looks like the wild and wooly stuff will be subsiding.

Work



This weekend is all about catching up. This latest grant has its final application due on Tuesday, so I will be spending some considerable time with it before then. We are in the last half of the quarter, and my classes are pretty back-loaded when it comes to assignments, so I will be doing a bit more responding than I have been, and have a chunk of that for this weekend as well. One of Otis's clients had a book published, so we are heading to a signing downtown today. Have one home project to finish off as well - it's pretty cool, and I'll post pictures when it's done.

Solstice!


So, June 18 is the Fremont Solstice Parade. It's probably too late to turn ourselves into a float, but does anyone want to go down as a contingent? We can go early, take over a prime section of real estate with folding chairs and blankets, take turns staking out the territory and enjoying the fairishness. Looks like the main action has moved to Gasworks Park -- anyone up for this?


Barbecue?


We're thinking of hosting a barbecue sometime the weekend of June 24-25-26. How does that square with everyone's plans? Should we proceed?

&c.
I am making a commitment to have a new post each and every morning. I am inspired by the fact that there is at least one person who has set this blog as the browser home page. So bookmark, check back, comment, participate. Cheers, y'all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Huck,

Solstice yes, count me in....well perhaps I should ask exactly how early do we have to be to mark our territory?

Have you ever heard of the Procession of the Species? It happens ever year in Olympia around the 3rd Saturday in April, and also allows for a lot of creative expression. For more info see:

http://www.procession.org/Background.php

Basically the procession is split into 4 categories of species- earth, air, water, and fire (this is where the magical type beasts live).

I realize Olympia is another world to many, and won't happen for another 11 months, yet thought I would throw it in for something to think about next year.

BBQ sounds good as well.

I'd also like to propose a walk sometime, or even a hike.

Anonymous said...

I'm there for the Solstice parade. BBQ sounds great as well, although Sundays are always softball days.

Diane