Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Beyond the valley of moovie nite

Okay, so at Mel's urging, I think I will participate in SIFF for the first time in, like, 20 years or something. (I can't help it - this time each year I have occasion to drive by the Harvard Exit, and I see this big crowd of people on the street, and I think "Oh my god! There was a fire or something!" and then it turns out to be the line for SIFF. And I don't like lines.)

Anyway, we are looking at heading to the Broadway Performance Hall on Friday night at 6:45 pm to catch Pizza, as well as the opening short The Fax.
Care to join us? It's ten bucks, but whattayagonnado? Otis and I will be there - join us.

Some other stuff you can get in on - let me know now if ya wanna:

Solstice Parade and party on June 18? I checked the website and it looks like the deal in Gasworks Park is a half-hour "Pag-eant" after the parade. So I was thinking that if we skip that, y'all could come up here to the Ridge, and we can go down on foot, avoiding all that traffic hassle, and enjoy the Fremont Fair before and after the parade, and then come back up the hill for decompression.

Game night on June 25? Jen Forceful has threatened me with some cool games to try out.

Independence Day barbecue on Saturday, July 2? Prolly at the Putnam Resort in scenic Lake Forest Park, prolly 4 pm to whenever, grills and games and whatnot.

Comments, commitments, and queries encouraged - keep it on the q.t. with the cussin'.

See you Friday.

9 comments:

John said...

Anyone tell you that your new profile photo looks vaguely vice-presidential? Something about the color scheme in the background, or the riveting stare. Spooky.

John said...

I'd also like to be the first one to claim that I ACTUALLY OWN the issue of Iron Man that is being read by the "slackers" in the promo photo for the film short, Fax. As proof, I tell you this: The tiny writing below Iron Man says, "They stole his technology." I'm totally down to see that film now.

Anonymous said...

So far this is my favorite description of a movie at SIFF.....now I am not saying I actually want to see this one....just that the promo is grand:

The Wandering Shadows
La sombra del caminante
2004, 91 Minute Running Time
Genre: Drama
Language: Spanish

Contemplative, sober, sometimes hopeful look at today’s Colombia through the strange relationship of two physically and spiritually crippled men. Through poetry and metaphor, this black and white opera-prima film expresses conflict without bullets and redemption without religion. In the journey, a new director with a unique vision emerges from Latin America.
Director Ciro Guerra scheduled to attend both screenings

DIRECTOR: Ciro Guerra
Producer: Jaime Osorio Gómez
Screenwriter: Ciro Guerra
Music: Richard Córdoba
Filmography: Debut Feature Film

Anonymous said...

I can't do the movie Friday night: my ultimately cool massage instructor, Joy, has engineered a pot-luck, massage exchange between us first termers with a group of 4th term students, and I gots to go cause I still need to receive two hours of massage by week end!
Part of me likes how you are planning events ahead Walter, but the other part says it's kinda scary. July! Who knows? I'm committing to Solstice Parade and that is as far ahead as I'll venture at this point.

Diane

Anonymous said...

Ooooh that was close! I'm taking off for the wilds of Canada just a day or 2 after game night. So I'll plan on bringing a boxful of 'em :)

Jen

Anonymous said...

Ooooh that was close! I'm taking off for the wilds of Canada just a day or 2 after game night. So I'll plan on bringing a boxful of 'em :)

Jen

Walaka said...

See! That's why I am planning so far ahead - so Jen knows when to go to canada!

Ned said...

I did not know there were actually SIFF virgins left in Seattle. Just one word about the lines: advance ticket purchase. Just another word: don't worry about where you sit. Just another another word: it's a festival, damn it, revel in your sweaty, greasy, ignorant fellow man! Of course, my experience is mostly on the other side of the counter, so who the hell am I to talk? (This is, of course, applicable to most of the shite I come up with.)

Walaka said...

I think I will participate in SIFF for the first time in, like, 20 years or something

Not a SIFF-virgin, just a long period of SIFF-abstinence.