Monday, August 27, 2007

A veritable catalogue of fun

After blogging from a Caffe Ladro yesterday, Otis and I headed up to 'Zalo's to put in an appearance at Wheylona's open house. We enjoyed a drink and the view and got connected and made plans, and then we had to run off to do grocery shopping, of all things. (When ya gotta, ya gotta.)

Last night, we threw in a Netflik and watched Rushmore. I' don't know about this Wes Anderson guy; he makes interesting and textured movies, but I'm not sure I like - or even care about - the characters enough to fully engage with the stories. A few really good moments don't a movie make.

Today, Kris-10 came over to work on a project with Otis while I was doing work-work; we all broke for a nice pirogie-based lunch together. After lunch, Otis and I spent some time in Magnuson Park; I made my way through quite a bit of Freakonomics, which is every bit as interesting as (but a little less compelling than) I thought it would be.

We came home for dinner before joining Eryk, Dingo, Johnbai, and Stella at the Crest for The Lives of Others, a subtle and complex look at the choices one Stasi - a security apparatchik - makes in the days of pervasive citizen surveillance in the East German Republic. Part thriller, part romance, part simple human drama, the movie was a great reminder that story and acting are what really make movies great.

We all went out for coffee-an' afters, until the big green S threw us out - just like old times!

Completely unrelated graphical element:

Here's a photo of Otis when she was fourteen.

2 comments:

"Yojimbo_5" said...

Sadly, the actor who played the Stasi agent died last month. Wonderful performance.

ReadyToShelve said...

Check out the double-Swatch action! I'm guessing the cracks in that stone wall were put there by the buns of steel?