Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Packed to the gunwhales

(And I think that's pronounced "gunnels.")

Since I decided to give myself a vacation day to recover from our brief "vacation" to Connecticut and did not do a whole lot of work on Monday, I had to pull an all-dayer in order to stay on schedule. I managed to stay focused and get done all I needed to; unfortunately, I need to do it again today.

This teaching-in-the summer business can be fun, but this year, not so much. I like the students fine, and they’re working about as hard as can be expected, but I wasn’t completely satisfied with my syllabus for the class, and it’s showing, and the split-shift schedule is a little annoying. The weather has been a particular distraction as well; it certainly has been fine, and it’s been hard to gear up for evening classes and not just relax my way into the evening. Well, only two and a half weeks left at North (although Antioch will go on much longer).

Anyhoo, blah blah blah work. The fun stuff is more important: this Sunday is supposed to be the Urban Hike. The leading idea right now is to meet on Cap Hill and have a nice walk down to Lake Washington – Madison park and then south, maybe to Leschi? I am thinking that a ten-mile round-trip would be appropriate; I initially wanted to walk to Alki, but that would be about twenty miles, unless we meet in SoDo. Any suggestions or objections before I send out the official invitation?

No comments: