Friday, August 17, 2007

True to form

Give that today was the first day of my "summer vacation" I luxuriated in turning off the alarm and laying slug-a-bed until almost 7:30! What a lazy guy!

I managed to busy myself without actually accomplishing anything that I could check off my to-do list; amazing how that happens sometimes, innit? Then Otis and I took a shortish walk through the neighborhoods and down to the lake, circling around to hit the Green Lake Library just as it opened. I reserved a bunch of books and actually checked one out! Reading: maybe I'll pick up the habit again!

If I do, it will be one piece of the process of getting control of my activities. Even leaving aside how I have completed only a negligible percentage of my biking goals this summer, I feel as if the days have just slipped away without my accomplishing anything. And I don't mean accomplish just in the sense of Doing Something Significant; I mean that, with some notable exceptions, I have been frittering away my time instead of filling it up. Well, I aim to change that.

I plan to capitalize (socialize?) on the focus that will come from having a full-time position and use that as a framework for an anti-fritter campaign. There's so much that I want to do and learn and read and play with; I'm tired of being distracted and wasting time.

Which is not to say that this is a zero-tolerance stand against idleness; down-time and quiet contemplation are good for the soul. But when I am in gear, I hope to be using my resources on stuff that gives me some lasting satisfaction rather than just passing distraction.

That doesn't mean that I came back from the library and plowed into War and Peace to improve my character. In fact, Otis and I scootered over to Fremont to have a delightful lunch with b and c at Qazi's, which has an Indian buffet to rival the Bombay Grill.

But when I came home, I eschewed YouTube and started in on the novel I picked up.

No comments: