Saturday, August 04, 2007

PM postation

So, here we are at the totally green Green Bean beanery; I have just finished grading, Otis is doing something mysterious, and now it's time to catch the trolley to Blogville.

Yesterday's breakfast was a most excellent meal: not just the groceries, but the company. Johnbai, O, Yojimbo, K, Jon of Monmouth, Otis and I filled the restaurant with way too much laughter and conversation before sending our valley visitors back on the road - it was finestkind. I even had a chance to pass some more of the afternoon with Yojimbo, as well, after dropping O off at a garage sale, where she was last seen muttering "my precioussssssss..." over some cut crystal.

I finally got some notice from the personnel department at Cascadia, so I spent some time yesterday sending them material to begin the salary negotiation process and making arrangements for my pre-quarter training (which includes a swinging two-day trip to Poulsbo). Just about a month now, and I'll be on that track to tenure.

Otis and I had a free dinner at the new Stanford's last night - it was part pre-opening marketing and part staff training. They had a bit of a time dealing with a couple of vegetarians, but were very flexible and accommodating, providing (among other variations) a swell grilled portobello mushroom dish. I don't think that we'll ever eat there, but it was a nice treat (the bill would have been $60 plus tip). It was a nice start to an evening that included coffee and jazz at LFP and some late-night hot-tub action.

My desktop computer is slow. I am trying a bunch of stuff, but I don't even know what the cause is. My Blogger interface runs too slow even to use, I can't watch most videos, and switching between windows seems to take way too long. I added more RAM and have been cleaning out files and repairing permissions and all that, but nothing seems to make a difference. I am about ready to re-install OSX; I don't know what I'll do if that doesn't work.

Otis is participating in the next Roosevelt Art Walk this Thursday; I won't be there cuz I'm teaching, but don't let that stop you from coming by! (Actually, I'll prolly be back for the tail end.)

No comments: