Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Totems of a sort

I have noticed that as the years have gone by, there have been some concepts or images that have maintained a consistent appeal for me. These are the things that an author can put in a story (or a marketer in an advertisement) that are guaranteed to get my attention and make me predisposed toward the text.

First of all, as goes without saying, there are kilts of all sorts:



Of course, there are dirigible balloons – zeppelins, airships, blimps – of all types.



(I even wrote a history paper in high school on airships and Nazis.)

And then there are autogyros:



And motorcycles with sidecars:



(Does anyone remember that I owned one of these for about five minutes a few summers ago?)

And rounding out the top five would have to be what I have always called “deep-sea divers” but which are also known as hard-hat divers or just divers:



Given this last, it is a wonder that it has taken me so long to watch Men of Honor, the Robert DeNiro/Cuba Gooding movie about the first black Navy diver. We saw it on DVD last night, and it had everything I expected – overcoming adversity of all sorts, antagonists who become allies, displays of physical courage, swelling music, and looks of grim determination from the protagonists. It also managed to imbue the slow, ponderous divers with a sense of action and movement. As hokey and hackneyed as the film was, I loved it, even if there were no blimps in it.

So, what does it for you? What elements spark your responsometer and ensure your interest in a narrative? What is on the cover of the paperback you'll juts have to pick up and leaf through? Women with crossbows? Rusty metal artifacts? Muscle cars? Unicorns? Diners?

6 comments:

John said...

Man... is Netflix your way of watching all the Hollywood blockbusters of the early to mid 90's? That's a weird (and by that I mean surprisingly mainstream) list o' films you been watching lately. Where's the Invasion of the Bee Snatching Man-Bashers, or Isle of Existentially Dispairing Were-Beasts? Or Chimpu, Ninja Monkey Squad... or The Blind Machete Aardvarks Brigade?

I'm glad you rented Heroic Trio... that was fun. You might also check out The Bride with White Hair. It's hard to know which of those Kung Fu flicks are crap and which are comic gold.

John said...

And I get excited by images of jetpacks, archery, hippos, skeletons (but NOT zombies), coal furnaces and steam-punk industry, Serena Williams, wooden hollow-body guitars, dangerous spy women, arcane mythological references, baseball, vegetarians, psychologists.

Walaka said...

I appreciate your analysis of my movie watching, but I think your data are wrong. Here's the last bunch of films from the Netflix queue:

The Patriot
Men of Honor
The Life & Death of Peter Sellers
The Luzhin Defence
Who Killed the Electric Car?
Time Machine: Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked
Hilary and Jackie
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
It's All Gone Pete Tong
Richard III
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Intermission
Bend It Like Beckham

archery if it's Asian or English longbow
steam-punk is too vague, but I like it too

Anonymous said...

My responsometer is sparked by the following elements: mythical beasts, insanity or psychosis, time travel, people or creatures who pretend to be powerless or are not what they seem, chaos or unpredictable forces depicted as villains (i.e. The Nothing from "Neverending Story"), bright colors, cannibalism, immortality, struggles against or the complete decimation of authority, newly-sentient beings or machines, and anything moving rapidly over the surface of the earth.

The only paperback anything I ever snatched up because of the cover image was the Playboy issue with Gabrielle Reece on the cover. Who says airports are boring?


Soapy

Walaka said...

I forgot one on my list: woolly mammoths. I always dug prehistoric mammals more than I did dinosaurs.

I like parallel worlds better than time travel, too.

Courtney Putnam said...

birds (of course), Indian saris, sequins, dogs who have deep brown eyes, cows who are not slaughtered, anything having to do with Anne Frank, strange dream sequences, stuffed animals, tropical scenes, references to menstruation, women on their own traveling, seals, Japanese tea ceremonies, bamboo, artists who are not crazy, shots of the landscape through the window of a moving train

otis