Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Interweek continues

I must say, that as much as I enjoy teaching, I am enjoying not-teaching this week very much.

On Sunday, Otis and I managed a nice long walk down to University Village for some errands and then through the UW campus to come back home. I know that I haven't been biking much at all this year so far, but I have been doing a lot of walking, so it's not like I have been a total slug. Or at least that's what I keep saying...

Sunday afternoon included some Dad's Day activities up at the Putnam Compound, with one old-time father and one first-time father. Fun times.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time on the internets, but I was actually doing work for a change. I needed to make travel arrangements for the trip to Connecticut for my sister's wedding later this summer. I love the control that internet ticketing gives us, but in many ways I long for the days of going to a travel agent who would do all this work for me and then just hand me an envelope with tickets in it. I managed to hack my way through the travel websites and my own indecision and come up with a plan. I think we are going to try an east coast visit without a car - it looks doable and it might even be fun (and cheaper).

Soapy came over yesterday for spaghetti dinner. It was good to catch up with him after a long stretch of no-see, and now we can track his doings without having to enter the MySpace universe: he has a regular blog, Low Coolant.

Last night, Otis and I watched The Prestige; we are perhaps the last to see it. We were impressed by the puzzle construction, although we had each figured out most pieces before the final denouement. I was less impressed by the the movie as a narrative: I didn't really care about any of the characters enough to be really engaged. (I also thought that David Bowie way underplayed Tesla - I always imagine him the human equivalent of one of his coils, all crackling energy.) I'd have to put this film in the same box with Memento - clever, but that's about all.

Well, there is some work awaiting me today - the last assessments of the quarter want filing. Off I go.


Mini Link Farm:

The Brass Goggles website has cool steampunk gear.

This version of a crossword puzzle is deceptively simple.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I know what you mean--even tho I love finding the best flights with good seats, etc. the whole thing is such a huge amount of work I too secretely long to be my dad circa 1994, who trusted his travel agent to take care of elaborate plans, including FF miles, etc. I don't even have a travel agent anymore.

Tracey (posting as Maeve)

John said...

I have conquered your crosswordy puzzle! It made my day. Cool idea but I wish they had more, and continued to get harder.

Also excellent news that Soapy is legit... hopefully he won't find a way to make his blog start playing songs when ever you visit... whether you want to hear them or not!