Saturday, February 03, 2007

Buckle down, Winsocki!

This rousing tune is my theme for the weekend. After a week full of teaching busy-ness and social fun (J-Force Wednesday, Stella and Snakes Thursday, and taking Mater Putnam out for a birthday dinner last night), I have a ton of stuff to do before next week. In addition to the usual 150 or so papers to respond, I need to mail the first two of the nine-so-far applications for full-time teaching positions this fall by Monday. So, it looks like I'll be scrivening non-stop for a bit.

I am hopeful of an offer for the fall - with that many openings, I should be able to click with someone. Nonetheless, I am continuing to apply to non-teaching jobs in the meantime.

One the one hand, I really enjoy teaching. On the other hand, I'm not sure I enjoy it enough to continue this part-time struggle for very much longer. Teaching offers a lot of scheduling flexibility, but sometimes it would be nice to walk away from work and leave it at the office. Of course, teaching full-time should give me the summer off. The other jobs I'm looking at pay about as much per day worked, so working more means more money, and usually have pretty generous vacation anyway. And not having to wonder every few weeks whether I will have work* the next quarter would be grand.

I think if you look back in the archives of this blog you'll find a post where I established September 2007 as the deadline on this waffling. It looks like the final march to that decision is beginning.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



Air fares to Hawaii are lower than they have been in years. Otis and I scoured the internets for some "cheap" accommodations, and decided to grab the bull by the horns and book a spring break trip to Maui. So, we'll be considering suggestions and offers for cat patrol duty for a week at the end of March. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be here so am willing to take part in cat care.

Diane

Anonymous said...

Door To Door Storage is hiring. :)


Soapy