Thursday, September 28, 2006

The week isn't even over yet

Man, I'm still trying to get into the swing of things. I'm in a little lull between first diagnostic essay (right away) and first real essay (not until next week), so I didn't have any actual responding to do. Taking advantage of that, Otis and I took a Green Lake walk and then scootered over to Golden Gardens to have an ice cream cone and read books take a nap in the sun.

But even though I got away with no responding, I still have to get used to doing photocopying days in advance. I try to be resonsive to the class needs, so while I have a general structure to my syllabi - the key events, as it were, are fixed - I usually don't know exactly what I am going to do on any given day until the class demontrates its particular needs. It's going to be a bit of a juggle to coordinate the clerical work and the pedagogy.

The other thing that will take some getting used to is my having to pack my goods up at night. I usually leave the teaching chips where they have fallen, and then use the gathering-up process as my focusing tool in the morning. Well, having to leave the house at 7:00 am doesn't give me a heck of a lot of time to mess with stuff, unsless I get up even earlier than I like to, so here comes another change in the routine.

And yeah, I know I'm turning back into obsessive teacher-boy, but what do you expect, it's fall. If Dingo had a blog that she actually updated, she'd prolly be telling us all about her new gig, too.

So, here's a link to Dirk Gently's I-Ching Calculator.* Follow these steps:

1. Concentrate soulfully on the question which is beseiging you.
2. Write It Down.
3. Ponder It.
4. Enjoy the Silence.
5. Achieve Inner Harmony and Tranquility.
6. Push the Red Button.

You will be given guidance.

*If you don't know who Dirk gently is, find out. You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Diane,

How wonderful, besides enjoying tasy fruit, what are you doing?

Melissa