Sunday, September 03, 2006

I loves me my early morning

I have been sitting down here in the office for a little while now, just listening to NPR on the radio, drinking some coffee (we actually got a grinder and bought some good beans, since we don't drink it every morning anymore), reading some blogs, and feeling the cool morning air flow in through the open door. The cat came and went, eating a little crackly food and thumping up and down the stairs; Otis has come and gone, too, padding about still half-asleep and likely back in bed two stories above by now; but mostly, it's been just me, just sitting and reading news and funny news stories and job listings and journals.

I've been indulging in this morning practice for some time now. I used to be a get-up-and-get-out morning person, rising just in time for a shower and a shave before heading to work. Some time ago, I discovered I enjoy having a good long time between getting up and actually engaging with the world. Sometimes, I can be terribly productive: finishing lesson plans, responding papers, filling out job applications; sometimes, such as today, I can just relax and make sure that I have some quiet time regardless of what the day has in store.

Not that I have much concern over what today might bring: we are in the middle of a quintessential Labor Day weekend, with appropriate hot summer weather. The plans today include a walk in the woods of Mercer Island and not much else. But it's still good to sit.

::::::

Here's a link to a video posted on one of the other blogs I read. I can't add anything to what the orginal poster has said; go and enjoy the cheesy awesomeness.

1 comment:

Jon Myers said...

I have been up for about an hour doing much of the same (though I am drinking OJ as I am not awake enough yet to engage with the espresso machine). The boys are here but fast asleep still and even the cats are taking it easy. I have not been browsing as much as posting up some more entries from the UK trip. It is such a great time of day. This morning, it is already hot here - we have not had a day below the top 90s for so long now - our third or fourth 'heatwave' this summer. Enjoy the rest of the Labor Day weekend - we are headed back up to the cabin tomorrow for the last hurrah of the summer.