Thursday, September 07, 2006

My goodness, it's Thursday...

Where has the week gone? It can't be that I have been so busy that I missed it whizz by; although I have been working on lesson plans and such, and teaching at night, it's not like I've been killing myself lately.

It's not that I have been so terribly active either; besides bike rides and errands, we haven't really been on any excursions. I stopped by the Green Lake library to pick up a reserve book and got to visit with Mary B for a little bit; that's about it for social whirl.

On the business side, I did get clarification this week on my status as Associate Faculty at Antioch University: in addition to getting paid the same as I did as an adjunct for teaching five classes over the course of the year, I get an additional $250 per quarter for related duties such as attending program meetings, advising students, or developing curricula. We are going to meet soon to negotiate how much work that stipend of $25 a week will buy.

While I appreciate this show of support from Antioch, have not let this appointment go to my head; I am still exploring other options to see what develops. This is the kind of job for which I am a viable candidate, and that I would likely have now if I hadn't moved into teaching. I thought about this one for a moment or two; $65K and six weeks vacation looked pretty nice. Then I thought about worrying about catering contracts and textbook buybacks and parking permits and it made me shudder. I dunno.

Likewise, I thought for a minute about this job, but although the public education aspect is cool, I can't see myself going back into paramilitary services.

Well, I've got plenty of work for the next four months; we'll see what next year brings.

And speaking of busy, in anticipation of the fall start-up next week, I have been culling blogs from my RSS feed (Bloglines). Part of the motivation is just a need to limit the time I spend reading the intarweb in the mornings, since I will have to leave the house at 7:00 - 7:30 am starting Monday. Another motivation, though, is a refocusing of what I am doing with comics and my comics blog and comics scholarship, but if I talk more about that, I will be blogging about blogging, and we all know that's a sin.

So just check out this blog, and help me figure out whether it is weird-clever or just weird-stupid.

1 comment:

Jon Myers said...

Maybe weird ho-hum?