Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Blurry

That's how I've felt the past two days - just a little out of focus.

Independence Day was a little odd. We started out early, heading up to LFP to spiff up the Putnam Compound for the return of the mater and paterfamilias. We had a too-expensive diner breakfast on the way and were there by 9:00 am - we were finished so early that when we got home we didn't know if we were coming or going. between my grading and Otis's business business, we just sort-of drifted through the day. We declined a BBQ invite from Johnbai cuz it was in Kirkland, but did round off the evening with a nice, long bike ride to Golden Gardens (with extra special rainy last two miles).

This morning, I realized that I had left my course book in LFP so I couldn't use it for class. I developed a substitute lesson, and then left it home when I went to school, and had to recontruct it in five minutes. Then when returning student papers, I realized that I had mislain two of them. I cut short my riding today to come home and try to get my stuff together.

I realize that I haven't done the usual administrative prep for a busy-busy quarter - making sets of folders for each class, setting up files of lesson plans - and it's showing. I think I need to devote several hours this weekend to arraying my waterfowl.

I didn't help matters that Otis had a severe migraine today and was a bit of a zombie most of the time.

At least tonight's class went splendidly. I am taking the class in a different direction from the last time I taught it, and I think it's going to work out great. I even remembered all my stuff!

3 comments:

John said...

"arraying my waterfowl" is to "putting my ducks in a row" as Thomas Pynchon's "inexpensive pugilistic" is to "cheap shot."

wheylona said...

Hiya Walaka! Haven't had much to say, but just wanted to let you know I'm reading.

I definitely know what you mean about the arranging; I'm feeling your pain as my own lack of having done so as well is making my life unnecessarily more complicated than needed. And I can't really blame the football anymore, either.

Anonymous said...

"mislain"?