Sunday, May 28, 2006

Sunday waning

This has been a pretty weird day. I got up early, even for me, and have been pretty busy, but besides going out to Whole Foods for a bagel, I haven't even left the house. I have been reading and blogging and researching and all kinds of stuff like that; I just haven't gone outside. Not that outside was beckoning very much anyway - it has been gray and wet since last night almost without a break. Otis did head up to Tamarind Tree to have lunch with her brother, and we were going to go out for a game night at Kris-10 and Rye-N's tonight. But Otis isn't feeling that well, so we're staying in, and she's doing a bit of art and I'm doing this.

I did do something halfway interesting today - I put together an application for a teaching job at Kwantlen University College in B.C. I am more interested in seeing how they respond to an application from the States than I am in moving to Canada right now. The application instructions told me to "Please forward a current curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts and a list of referees." Now, we have been over the CV vs. resume business (see the comments section here), and a transcript is clearly a transcript, but I am guessing that referees are references or recommendations. What do you think? The great and mighty intarweb was of no help to me on this one.

While rather homebound today, we did mount an expedition to Folklife yesterday, even in the rain. We didn't actually go to any performances, but just walked around and soaked in the ambience and the random music. It was pretty cool, maybe getting a little long in the tooth, but still with a nice vibe. I can only say that roasted corn on the cob should not cost $3 an ear. (But the falafel pita were great.)

3 comments:

Jon Myers said...

Yup, referees are the people who give you references. It confused me coming from the other side that I was asked for references when what was being asked for was the name of someone who would give me a reference. I thought initially that I was supposed to enclose a letter of recommendation.

Jon Myers said...

P.S. I know (or knew in my CELTA days) the guy who runs the CELTA courses at Kwantlen if that would be of any help - not that you are really thinking of moving to America Lite, eh?

Anonymous said...

I second Jon's remarks about referees. Although I think you should remain open to the possibility that the interview consists of a mudwrestling match with a really ticked-off Canadian, and you need to have a referee or two to make a fair call when he knees you in the groin.