Thursday, May 04, 2006

Rootin'-tootin'-substitutin'

Today I need to head into CCC and work on my usual day off - well, on one of my many usual days off - and by "work" I mean "show a movie in a class outside of my subject area and have students discuss it in groups." Ah, the life of a substitute.

Had a heaping plateful of puppet action last night, as Johnbai, Dingo, and JagGirl came over for spectration and we wound up watching Team America: World Police, because, in Johnbai's words, "it'll make EVERYBODY laugh... whereas Donnie Darko will make everyone confused and a little depressed" and we wouldn't want that. It was coarse, juvenile, over-the-top, and occasionally very witty, and everybody did laugh. Just for old times' sake, here's some of the old-school "supermarionation" that inspired this movie and the showcase for one of my earliest heroes, Steve Zodiac - Fireball XL5.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVED "Fireball XL5."

But my favorite was "Supercar."

Now, that was the wonder of the age.

Anonymous said...

Puppet sex rocks!!!

Kudos on the lyrics to the songs as well.

Scotty Walsh said...

Now, let's not drag Pinocchio into this debauchery. Gepetto was a pure soul, and if anyone is a victim in that story it was him. Not the naughty puppet.

I remember watching Team America by myself in a Theatre in Devil's Lake South Dakota and almost no one else was in the theatre and I was just shaking my head in disbelief the whole time. I mainly just remember feeling bad for Matt Damon.