Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Lights and tunnels

I actually feel pretty good about having made some progress over the past couple of days in gaining control of the workload. I can't get complacent; there's still lots of work coming in over the next three and a half weeks. I have a feeling I am going to be busy over the Thanksgiving weekend...

In the file cabinet of my mind is a TV pilot for a detective series starring the Universal Studios Movie Monsters. The conceit was that monsters were accepted as part of the daily reality of life, if not totally accepted as full members of society. This particular group ran a detective agency and got involved in escapades and wacky hijinx, except on the 'very special episodes' that concerned major societal issues and whatnot. Anyway, the way my mind works, I figured I wouldn't use the big three (Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, and Wolfman), except sparingly; the main character would be the Creature from the Black Lagoon, a fish out of water (get it?) in more ways than one. The other main character would be Bride of Frankenstein, and I expected a lot of Unresolved Sexual Tension between them. (I toyed with the idea of making her the Ex-wife of Frankenstein, too). The supporting cast would be Invisible Man, Mummy, Phantom of the Opera, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and other lesser lights that I could dig up.

So, imagine my surprise when I found this on the net, apropos of nothing. A publicity still?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, now I'm thinking about this series... I can see this taking up a good hour of the next game night or coffee night or...

Soapy

John said...

Ever watch Harvey Birdman, Attn. at Law?
It's a similar concept, except it's old Hanna Barbara characters, and it's a legal office... and it's pretty screwball comedy rather than subtle potboiler spoof.