Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Independence Day

It seems to be that in the 231 years since the founding of this country, much has been made in scholarly study of the relative influence of Jeffersonian and Hamiltonian philosophies in the development of our democracy.

Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to the Paineian influence....






"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself."

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right."

"When my country, into which I had just set my foot, was set on fire about my ears, it was time to stir. It was time for every man to stir."

"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man."

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."

No comments: