Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Doggie days

Yesterday was hot and today is hotter; I could feel that it was going to be even when I was walking to my morning class. After class, I took Otis to the airport for her San Francisco trip and then bounced all the way back to LFP for house-sitting duties (water and garbage cans). I finally came back to the RD and spent two hours grading papers in the air-conditioned cool of World Cup, until I came home to feed the melted cats.

All of this reminds me of the summer of my grad school days in Spokane. The big windows of my 313 square foot on-campus apartment faced west; it was so hot that I covered all of them with aluminum foil. It was trashy-looking and the living room was pretty dark, but it was about twenty degrees cooler than it would have been otherwise. I spent a lot of time in the library, but since I was writing my thesis, I needed to work on the computer a lot, and because I was laptopless, that meant I was at home a lot. For a week or two I was dog- and house-sitting on the South Hill, and they didn't have air-conditioning either, so it wasn't much better than my apartment, but they did have cable and an air-conditioned car, both of which helped me get through the days until the relative cool of the evenings. Those were good times; I discovered Kim Possible that summer and generally enjoyed myself despite the heat, even though (perhaps because) I was alone much of the time.

Well, I'm sure this weather won't last, but for now I'm happy to be riding the heat wave.

No comments: