Saturday, September 29, 2007

I am ninja, you are ninja

So, there I was yesterday, feeling like Harry Belafonte walking through a post-apocalyptic Manhattan in The World, The Flesh, and the Devil, or like Chuck Heston roaming an eerily vacant Los Angeles in The Omega Man. What brought me to this lonely wandering, in an empty landscape bereft of humanity? Oh, I just went in to work on campus Friday. I got a lot of responding done, though.

After work, I ran some errands, including stopping to pick up the snack for the Spectration that evening. That process turned into a huge shopping expedition during which every 10 for $10 sign seemed to be calling to me like a Siren. I filled the cart and subsequently the pantry with all kinds of mostly good stuff and just a little junk.

Said Spectration turned out to be a wonderful success. Dingo, tired but game, was first to arrive, followed by Yojimbo, snagged on his way to the ferry. Johnbai & O and J-Force & T-Square arrived in tandem and in sequence to round out the audience.

We watched Tongan Ninja, a delightful New Zealand martial arts spoof that was so deliberately bad that it was crazily good. Any movie that includes such scenes as the titular hero beating his opponent with the boom mike that has intruded into frame has got the right sense of humor.

Adding to the joy of the night was the presence of Strobey the iPup, who, after entertaining the crowd all night, was adopted by Dingo and will have a warm home up on the hill.

1 comment:

"Yojimbo_5" said...

I can't get that G-D "Tongan Ninja" song OUT OF MY HEAD!

DAMN!

Glad I am, that I could be reeled in last night--the nephew decided he wasn't coming out anyway--for the festivities.

And since "Strobey" was my name, I am now proclaiming myself:
"YOJIMBO, KING OF THE I-CRAP NAMING OF THINGS!"