Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Here comes the rain again

Doing all my early-morning stuff - cleaning the kitchen, taking out the garage and recycling, paying bills, and so on - I really felt as if this were a fall day and not still (technically) summer. The ground is wet, the rain is spitting in fits and starts, and the gutter across the alley is providing a continuous loud cascade - a release of stuff stored up overnight? It's as if the weather listened to pop culture, saw that Labor Day was over, and turned summer off.

Labor Day passed nicely enough, with labor actually involved. Otis had much labor - three appointments scheduled - so I hied myself off to a Tully's to respond some papers, as per usual. As per unusual, I went to the Tully's in Edmonds, so I could meet with Gweekers (still here from Spokane) and Dr. J (over on the ferry from Sequim), and the three of us could have a mini grad school reunion. We sipped and lunched and walked and sipped again, and had a great time.

Returning to the county of King, a slightly fatigued Otis and I decided to join the gleaning at the Value Village big-time Labor Day sale, and in proof that either great minds think alike or we're all cheap sonsaguns, we met Dingo and Wheylona and Sylvio there! It was a pretty good score, too: Otis got some shirts, slacks, and skirts, and I found some biking shirts for my commute. We saved enough for dinner at Piecora's!

Today is really my last "vacation" day, such as it is. Tomorrow, the new-quarter meetings start up with a vengeance. I feel once again like the summer went by without my accomplishing half the things I intended. There was lots of fun, of course, and a bit of travel, sure; but we never barbecued here at the house, we didn't get over to the island or up to Canada, I barely biked and didn't re-do my web pages -- the "didn't-do" list is way long. Where does the time go?

Hey, Soapy! Are ya still up?

No comments: