Saturday, January 13, 2007

Sidewalk shuffle

Friday was an odd sort of day. Since NSCC had a "late start" day, my 9:00 class was cancelled, but my 10:00 was still on. Just for fun, Otis and I walked up to the college along the lake. It was cold, but clear and crisp. Some side streets were a bit messy, but we really didn't have any problems.

While Otis loitered in the cafeteria, I attended to my one fifty-minute meeting. A surprising sixty percent of the students showed up; I had expected much less. We had a productive (if informal) session, and then Otis and I walked back on the inland route, via Group Health. It was a fun and strange way to take of business; I hope things at work will be back to normal after this long weekend.

The afternoon was given over to hanging-around-the-house stuff until Dingo came by at 4:30 to start our moovie nite. We had a little time for tea and decompression before Yojimbo joined us and we all strolled down to Royal Thai for dinner and catching up. Jimbo had to head back to the island to ransom his puppy* and we three headed up to the Crest to meet Stella and sort-of meet Johnbai and Sachet. "Sort-of" because Stella, Dingo, Otis and I went to For Your Consideration, and Johnbai and Sachet chose to see History Boys. Ah, the joy of the multiplex.

Johnbai and Sachet might have made the better decision. While we all thought Christopher Guest's latest mockumentary brought the funny in certain places, it was a little disappointing overall. Otis said that it didn't push its situations quite far enough into the absurd; I think Guest is starting to care for his characters too much and its blunting his satire. On the other hand, Johnbai came out of History Boys genuinely moved and said that it was one of the best movies of the year. (Sachet said that she would have liked it but couldn't hack her way though the British accents.)

Stella headed back to the burbs while the rest of us repaired to Third Place Books in Ravenna for coffee and conversation. We closed the joint still going strong. And that's what I call a Friday.

Random photo of the day:




* doesn't "ransom the puppy" sound like a euphemism for something dirty?

No comments: