Sunday, January 14, 2007

Excrutiating details

Morning: Otis had an 11:00 appointment for a massage up in Kenmore. I needed to pick up my flash drive from my office at Cascadia, so I drove her up, dropped her off, and continued into Bothell. When I got to campus, I realized that I had forgotten to bring the backpack full of work to do. So, instead of being productive, I just listened to the radio and dinked around before heading back to Kenmore to pick Otis up. She wound up having a longer session than planned, so I had to spend a half-hour sitting in the car in the parking lot before take her home for lunch.

Afternoon: Otis had a client coming for a special at 2:00, so I made myself scarce and headed up to Cap Hill. The original plan was to meet Johnbai and O when they got out of the gym, give Johnbai back his video camera, and hang for a while. On the way up, I called Dingo, but she was turning down invitations right and left. Then I called Sachet and left a message. Then I stopped by the Cap Hill library and checked in with J-Force, of whom we have seen too little lately. While I was there, Sachet returned my call, and said we'd hook up after she did some errands. She met me at the library a little while later and we walked to Septieme. Just as we ordered, Johnbai called to say we wouldn't be hanging but he still would like the video camera. So Sachet and I cancelled our orders, walked back to the library to meet J&O and drop off the camera, and then continued on to JoeBar for tea and some lovely one-on-one time.

Evening: After dinner, we had some chores to take care of, and then thought about watching a video later. Otis is wrapped up in Battlestar Galactica; the first season is available for download through iTunes, so we thought we'd try that out. First, when I went to download, it told me I had to upgrade my iTunes to get videos, so I went through that rigamarole. Then when I went to download on the new iTunes, it told me I needed to upgrade my Quicktime in order to be able to see the videos that I could now download, so I went though that rigamarole, which included re-starting the computer. When I went back to iTunes to complete the download of three episodes and pay for them, I found the upgrade had erased my AppleStore password, which used to be put in automatically and which I had (of course) forgotten, so I had to do the "Forgot Your Password?" rigamarole. After the three eps had finally downloaded (at half-a-gig each), I found that I couldn't burn them to DVD without some more software. So: Otis used her laptop to access my iTunes though our network, and we hooked her laptop up to the projector, and we projected the full-screen view onto the wall. Luckily, she had already upgraded everything, so that went quickly and worked fine, except that the only sound we had was from her laptop, and the speakers for my iMac won't fit her iBook.

So we watched Alfred Hitchcock's last movie, Family Plot. That went fine except that the bulb on the projector must be starting to go, since the screen goes blank every now and again.

The moral of the story: life is approximate.

Just for fun: Otis eating a cat's paw. (linkety-link-link, link-link.)

1 comment:

John said...

Bear claws are tastier.

Sorry to have bailed on you... glad you and Sachet had a good visit.