Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Still no snow day

Yesterday was a weather mix-n-match. No worries getting to North in the morning, although student attendance was a little light. I had no prbelm getting up to Bothell, either, but the empty parking lot told me a lot of the north-end students had taken the day off. Emails and attendance bore this out, and I ended the last class a little early.

This turned out to be a fortuitous choice; the drive from Bothell south on Lake City Way was a royal mess. It was snowing pretty hard, things were slick, it was congested, and things weren't helped by people who just gave up trying to drive and sat in their cars in the middle of the road with their flashers going. What is that all about?

Then, at about 85th Street, it just cleared all up, as if the weather front was sitting right there. From the Roosevelt Safeway south, it was just flurries and wet roads. I had no problem getting to Antioch, but again, the attendance was really light.

Selkie got me up at 5:30 today, and an early check showed that North was not closing for the day. So, since I was up, I left plenty early. It turned out to be an easy ride in - 5th Avenue was pretty clear all the way - so I am having breakfast and blogging.

Dingo reported her walking-home adventure last night in the comments on the previous post. Does anyone have any other reports from this "snow event"? (At least they're not calling it StormWatch '06! - or maybe they are.) Anyway, it'll be fun until the rains come back in a few days.

Cat note: Selkie spent all night inside and had a very brief morning jaunt; Mountie spent the night in his little (heated) house and was spunky this morning.

7 comments:

Jon Myers said...

So you are owned by two cats now?

Anonymous said...

Back from partly sunny summery New Zealand to get right into winter. We have 10 inches of snow out there which is pretty but creates extra work having to knock it off my greenhouses. Luckily we have lots of firewood and it's toasty warm in here.
I think you need a Jack Russell puppy to keep your cats company. We still have a couple left.
Scott

Anonymous said...

A snow story. . .

Yesterday evening (in Kent) I was chatting online with a friend in Seattle. Out of nowhere Googletalk went dead. I can't remember the last time that happened. The chat window went gray and the green lights turned into gray X's. Ten seconds later the connection re-established.

The conversation resumed for about a minute, then I got this:

"dude-- let me call you later. i want to get home before the blizzard strands me here at work. !!!! bye!!"

Mildly alarmed, as we in Kent knew nothing about an oncoming blizzard, I read the line out loud to my co-workers. Naturally a few curious souls looked up local weather websites. From across the sales floor Freddie shouted, "OH SHNAP!!" A minute later the call center manager appeared and dismissed all the employees who lived north of Seattle.

In the 1.75 hours it took me to get home I witnessed a dozen cars stuck on the side of the road, some with headlights facing oncoming traffic, people walking and sliding on the shoulders of 518 W and 509 N, and a double-bus that had slid into the sidewalk and was blocking 1.5 lanes of Greenwood N.

Soapy

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Soapy chats online when he should be working...I am shocked! When Walaka and I are in the office gossiping and talking about plans for the weekend, we would never even consider chatting online.....

Glad Diane made it home, yet sorry her chants worked so well. I am ok with one day of snow, yet the possibility of it staying and being added it to tommorow night is starting to freak me out.

I have done way too much work on my research, have moved and cleaned under all major appliances (moving a washer while those hoses are still connected is a special treat), cleaned inside and out of all my light fixtures, reorganized various files, and dusted all my air vents. If I am still housebound tommorow, the oven and closets are going to be cleaned.......Bored and anal retentive is not a good combination.

The highlight of the day was when 2 Netflicks showed up in the post. I am saving them as I may be snowed in suburban hell here for a few more days.

While I usually enjoy not having TV, this is one of those times I could really use more mindless entertainment. Had this snow happened a few weeks ago, before the 4 day weekend, I may have appreciated the down time.

As it is now, I've already scheduled a flight out of town for next Thursday, to help my mom after surgery. So, if another day or two of classes are cancelled and we have to move exams and final presentations later into next week, things could be a bit complicated.

I'm off to work on an anti-snow chant!

"Yojimbo_5" said...

Maybe if we chant "Nam-yoho-rengeh-kyo" BACKWARDS it'll make it go away.

Or we could chant "sqnmxhn" like the password says...

Oooh! Water's boiling on the wood-stove! Time for cocoa!

Anonymous said...

How is the cat house "heated"?

Anonymous said...

Jon,

He is totally owned by two cats now, yet he is still in deep denial.

You know, when a big freeze or snow happens is when most non-cat owner cave and get a litter box....