Thursday, November 16, 2006

Jobby McJobber

So, I just finished applying for that training coordinator job with the city. It was an electronic application, and once I figured out the ins and outs, it was quite smooth, actually. I'm not sure I am even a match for this job, but I was rejected by the Ferry System today (not even an interview!) so it was all about the getting-back-on-the-horse business, I suppose.

Consolidating the job situation still remains the holy grail for me, although even I am getting tired of my ongoing conversation about it. I can remember some few times in my many careers when I wasn't actively looking for a change in my employemnt status and I could just think about the work at hand; those periods never seem to last too long, however.

And what really gets me is how much there is to think about with just the job(s) that I have: teachers are constantly assessing their practices, revising syllabi, trying out new lesson plans, hoping to figure out that magic formula that will actually work and make learning happen. Even if a teacher gives up on that quixotic quest, there's still just the mainenance and updating of instructional materials to worry about. I have lessons and exercises that were oh-so-current and hep a few years ago but which now get blank stares or uninterested yawns from students.

Oh, somebody call me a waahmbulance, eh? Today was a good day: the sun shone bright on my old Washington home, my classes went well, and I got both a nap and a walk in this afternoon; who can complain?

So, on a cheery note, we were thinking of having a Thanksgiving Day community brunch/elevenses. Would there be any takers out there, or are y'all heading off to bigger doings? Otis and I will be joining with the Putnam clan, but that's not till the evening. Lemme know, okay?

Speaking of the Thanksgiving holiday, Otis has once again adopted another turkey, who gets to survive the season and play in the fields at Farm Sanctuary.

This is Sunflower:

"Sunflower looks forward to a sunny day, when all turkeys can run freely with all farm animals."

Sounds like a communist to me.

No comments: