Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Rockin' the vote



You may not recognize her in her rain gear and giant hat, but that is our very own Activist Otis (with sign-waving action) doing her bit this morning to get out the vote. She was recruited into the effort by Welcome Matt and Hi-Lai (there to the right) to have folks on one of the Fremont pedestrian bridges over Aurora. (The pic appears on the P-I website [#6 under "more election photos"] and might be in the paper tomorrow.)

Otis's contribution must have been enough to turn the tide nationally, since as I sit here, the Dems have taken back the People's House, and the Senate is still up for grabs. It is hard to view this national trend as anything but a repudiation of the current administration, its policies, and its hypocracies. While I don't see this a new broom sweeping clean or even a breath of fresh air, it might at least be a check on the downward slide this country has been taking, and for that alone, there is cause for hopefulness. If only the D's would take a cue from the people and grow some backbone.

I did my part and exercised my franchise right after class this morning. With all this new-fangled postalized voting, I still prefer to make my way to the polling place and discharge my responsibility in a public place with my fellow citizens. There is something about a polling place that makes me feel more respectful than just about any church I've been in. Although it might just be the cafeteria of a middle school or the foyer of a community center, it is an important place with a noble purpose, a simple and profound embodiment of the best that our system can be. I think I'll keep going down, unless and until voting in person becomes another quaint memory, like cashing a check at the bank or paying the utility bill at the gas company.

1 comment:

Ned said...

I miss voting in person, so I mail my ballot on election day, and always go to the post office to do it. This time I didn't wait in line, but used the new-fangled machine, as I had to go to my Italian class, which turned out to have been cancelled due to the teacher being sick.

Anyway, hear hear for the Dems getting a backbone. I'm likin' Pelosi, from what little I've seen. You go get 'em, Nancy!