Thursday, November 09, 2006

Kybbulz 'n' bittz

Those must be Pet Foods from Space, cuz they're spelled all funky...

So, the election day elation continues. It looks like the Dems have the Senate as well as the House: maybe there's actual cause for actual hope. I'll keep pretending so anyway.

Yesterday was the semi-long teaching day, but it turned into a good one. I had been feeling rather head-against-wallish in the classroom lately, not seeing much learning occurring, and slowly coming to the conclusion that "students are stoopid!", which is definitely not a good place for a teacher to be positioned. Well, people actually talked in the reading discussion yesterday morning, and some of them even made sense, and when I handed back papers in the next class, people read my comments and responded to them by asking questions and such. This sort of good stuff continued through my Cascadia classes, and when I assessed papers last night at Third Place Books, a lot of them were really good, despite the students' having had such a negative reaction to the writing task. So I had great classes today, which was easy since it was peer review day and all I had to do was listen to classical music and watch the students confer. But I'm in a much better mood, really!

After class, Otis was occupied so I scrounged up lunch partner and the lottery winner was Johnbai. We had a nice meal at Ballet and in an hour settled all outstanding issues relating to comics, politics, and personal relations. Uh-huh.

This is a three-day weekend for me, and for once I'm heading into it all caught up. I should be able to make some progress and give myself a decent workload next week. There's a good deal of social stuff, too: check the Big Blog for a BWS movie.

No comments: