Sunday, April 23, 2006

The shank of the weekend

It is just a glorious morning! This day holds in store both work and play - we are going to take a wee bike ride right after breakfast, but then we have to settle in with student papers for the rest of the day (Otis is up against deadline again, as usual). In the meanwhile, a little catching up is in order.

First of all, I realized that I never mentioned here that Otis took her licensing exam last Wednesday and passed! Now we're just waiting for that magic number and the little piece of paper from DoH... It looks like there might be an Open House for the new place and the new business maybe by May 21; we'll let you know.

Second of all, Johnbai has been back from Mexico since Tuesday and I still haven't seen or heard from him except for a minimal photo-blog: what up, dude?

Okay, so Wheylona came over last Thursday and spent the night before I took her off to the airport at the crack of dawn on Friday. Other than the left-behind sammiches and coat, the transfer went okay. It was such a treat to have a surprise visit from the SanSe delegate and rumor has it that a return engagement might not be so far off. Yay!

Since we were up so early, Otis and I headed into Bothell so I could get some work done in the office and she could hang out with me, since faculty offices are such cool places. To come down from all this excitement, later in the day we headed up to the Crest to see Brokeback Mountain, a little film that everyone else has apparently heard about. It was pretty good.

Yesterday was a pretty packed day as well. After brekkies, we headed back to the old neighborhood - it was the Greenwood Garage Sale Day, centered around the Phinney Neighborhood Center. It turned out to be a very pleasant excursion - the whole Ridge was filled with happy people, friendly dogs, uncertain cats, and good vibes. We had a list of stuff so we wouldn't just be crazy-go-nuts, and it worked out pretty well. Otis got a box grater (her cheese issues could fill an entire post) and scored some really nice flower pots, which she is going to fill with lavender, for the massage entrance.



I have been wanting one of those bicycle trailers so I can start to do grocery shopping and stuff like that on the bike. New, they run from $250 - $500, and I haven't ever seen a used one for less than $150. Look what I got for $25 at the garage sale:



The neon is all faded (who cares) but the framework is sound and the rubber is good. With a piece of plywood inserted, I'll have a little cargo trailer. Yippee!

One of the places we visited was doing the everything-you-can-stuff- in-a-bag-for-five-dollars thing, and while Otis was getting some socks and other clothing type stuff, I couldn't resist stuffing in this three-point articulation action figure. I think it might be a Lara Croft clone; she has "SOLA" written across her abundant bosoms and I don't know what that means. She may become the mascot around here. Anyway, J. Jonah Jameson doesn't appear to be intimidated by her, as you can see:



I also scored some comics and posted about them on the comix blog yesterday afternoon while Otis was seeing her mom.

Last night we met Might Mel up at the Egyptian for Kinky Boots. It was a nicely done movie with some good performances and a great soundtrack. I think I might take a break from the Full Monty genre films for a bit - I am feeling a little too uplifted lately. (But Art School Confidential is definitely on the must-see list.)

Okay, gotta run - the Burke-Gilman trail (and 48 student papers) are calling!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me in for Artschool Confidential. Also, I think the Al Gore flick...I think the title was something like 'We are totally screwed...environmentally of course' will be able to drag you down out the too uplifted movie state.

John said...

Sorry to be so "under radar" lately. But I have a wicked cool present for you, so you have to be nice. It's a totally awesome teeshirt to add to your collection of kick-ass geeky teeshirts.