Sunday, December 17, 2006

A royal mystery

Yesterday was a blessedly normal day. Otis and I made some pancakes for breakfast and then took a walk to and around Green Lake. It was a bracing morning, and as we walked clockwise, we ran into Hi-Lai walking anti-clockwise and had a nice visit. We came back and took care of household business, which included a short visit from JagGirl. I fought off some weekend-sleepiness for most of the afternoon and felt like a regular guy just being lazy (as opposed to an adjunct instructor blowing off grading).

I was all rested up, then, for a little socializing in the evening. We were thinking of watching a movie, but after ten minutes or so into it, we realized that Jackie Chan's Around the World in 80 Days is possibly one of the Worst Movies Ever Made. So, we wound up having a nice sit-n-talk over popcorn with Dingo, Johnbai, and O, punctuated by the sharing of creative projects, including Johnbai's JLA cartoon re-dub and Otis's classic Cinnamon Roll tapes.

Johnbai also brought along a gift for me, apropos of nothing: a Value-Village-scored T-shirt with this intriguing design:



Bai originally picked it up just because it said "New York" on it; coincidentally, I am not merely from New York, but indeed from Brooklyn, which happens to be Kings County. I did some rudimentary Googling, but I couldn't find any instances of Brooklyn's being referred to in the inverse form as "county of the Kings" (although there is a district in Ireland that is so named), so I don't quite know what's going on here. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Jon Myers said...

County Offaly was previously called King's County but I don't think it was ever called 'the County of the King (or Kings)' - it was named, I think, after a Spanish King.

Do you now live in King County?

Walaka said...

The sources I found were referring to County Meath, home of the "High Kings of Ireland."

And yea, I am now in King County (as opposed to Kings County).

John said...

Well, I picked up the shirt not just for the NY bit... but for its awesome funkiness and gold threadwork and killer old stamp graphic. Plus it was in my favorite color: Olive drab. The NY part just made me think Walaka would like it.

Walaka said...

It is a killer shirt in many ways, John... I meant to say that the New York was the only Walaka connection you saw. Thanks again! I wore it yesterday, over an OD turtleneck, and it looked swell.