Saturday, December 09, 2006

It's Saturday night!

Wow, it's been a heck of a couple of days here.

After classes yesterday, while Otis was at a writer's group, I had a three-hour interview at Lakeside School. I talked to administrators, observed a class, and met with a student panel. It's a beautiful campus, and working with such a group of academically advanced students would be great fun. It's hard to say how the interview went, since the selectors aren't even sure of what they are looking for yet. The programs that need to be taken care of might comprise one job, or two jobs, or even three little bits of jobs, when the decision is finally made. In any case, I think I acquitted myself well, and we'll just wait and see.

Late night Friday brought chaperon duty for Otis and me: Invisible Adam and EMI Karen threw a big sixteenth birthday party for their daughter at the Green Lake community center, with a 300-person invitation list. There were about ten adults present as well as two off-duty cops hired as security; Otis and I were working the door, but there was no guest list or entry pass or any other control. I think the crowd peaked at 150 or so, but in the course three and a half hours, two different fights broke out and about a half-dozen people got ejected. Even so, it was a fairly mellow night, although the music was awfully loud.

We got to bed pretty late, and actually slept in until almost nine this morning. We still had time to run errands before getting to Johnbai and O's for a scrumptious brunch. O really laid out a spread, as usual: tangerine-avocado-pomegranate seed salad, poblano chili quiche, roasted potatoes, and manchego, with tangerine juice, coffee, and Mexican chocolate. Talk about yum! We hung out, shot the breeze, and then went comic book shopping (twist my arm). Good times.

The rest of the day has been filled with work and housework and enormous grocery shopping. Otis is framing artwork for her upcoming show. Maybe I'll help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fights? Awfully-loud music? Dude how did you get hired for this gig and how do I get hired for the next one?? :)


Soapy