Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Long time gone

Oh my goodness! Is it Wednesday already? Or, from another perspective, is it only Wednesday!

Sorry it's been so long since a post, but it feels even longer to me. This near-instantaneous ramping up to 24 credit-hours from only nine has hit me like a ton of bricks. It's as if someone had suddenly placed me in front of this old-time steam boiler, and I'm supposed to start shoveling in the coal to keep the pressure up, and I don't even know where the bin - or my shovel - is.

I'm taking the relative lightness of today to map out a strategy for the rest of the quarter. I think the problem was my going into the class with the attitude that I was subbing for the previous instructor and trying to teach the class as she would have done. Well, I am going to be in the class for eight weeks, so there's no way I'd able to keep that up, but it doesn't suit me anyway. So, I am going to set my own course, within the general guidelines of the syllabus as it stands, but definitely along the way that I want to go. I made this clear with the students in both classes today, and they actually seem energized by it - I think they could tell we were making less progress over the past two days than we might have otherwise. So here I go!


Poor Otie! Thanks to an unfortunate concatenation of events, she was running up against her deadline for both the pile of Macbeth papers and the big pile o' journals at the same time. Trouper that she is, she worked all day yesterday after school and was up until about 3:30 this morning finishing them all off -- and then had to drive up to Kenmore to drop them off at IHS by 8:00 am -- and then went to work for Hi Lai at 10:00 am! Send her some kudos and philos - she'll appreciate it while she sleeps, most likely for a greater part of the rest of the day!

2 comments:

Ned said...

Sympathy, empathy, a hearty pat on the back from a kindred over-worked soul! I feel exhausted for youse. Or is that just me?!

Courtney Putnam said...

Oh thank you! Your empathy and sympathy mean a great deal. I am a bit more rested, though not quite caught up on hours of sleep yet. Oh, how my jammies are calling me!