Saturday, March 04, 2006

Transitionings

Lately, I have felt like I am on a bike ride or car drive that is turning out to be a lot longer than I had originally thought it was going to be. You know the feeling: you're clicking along, making pretty good time (you think); then you stop at a scenic overlook and check the map and realize that you aren't almost halfway there but merely less than a third of the way along.

This week has given the impression of home-stretchiness: my responding load over the past few days was actually much lighter that it has been, and I feel as if I can see the finish line up ahead. At the same time, when I make my to-do list, there's just all sorts of stuff still on it, not to mention the SPL gig (see the group blog), the Oscar party, the Hawai'i trip, and, of course, y'know, MOVING and all. Neepers!

Well, one sure sign that we're closer to the end is that the long johns are gone and we are au naturel beneath the Utilikilt once more.

We got a chance to break out the gray gabardine kilt last night for the Massage School Graduation.

Congratulations, Otis!

Otis had a small flock of well-wishers from kith and kin at what turned out to be one of the oddest commencements I have ever seen. It was more like an episode of Oprah than a graduation: a gum-chewing, wisecracking emcee; touching and/or "funny" bits from teachers; the cordless mic in the audience for tearful testimonials (all of which sounded the same after a while); stage-managed hugs; and so on. Even Empath Otis (with caring and sharing action) was overcome by cheesiness rather than emotion. Go figure.

Nonetheless, it was good to see the Putnam clan, and Kris-10 and Rye-N were boon companions in the long, dark hours of the ceremony. I got to give congratulations to b, and c was supposedly there but I did not see him. No pictures, since we forgot the camera.

And Dingo wasn't there, although this was her ceremony, too:
Congratulations, Di!

Okay, so enough of this fun and frivolity. I have to get to work, so tomorrow can be fun and frivolity all day! See y'all soon!

1 comment:

Courtney Putnam said...

Yahoo! Congrats, Diane! We did it! I'll see you on Sunday for a congratulatory hug!

Courtney