Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Dis and dat

Yay! It feels really good to be done with classes! I am working my way through my final assessments, but I now have time for all kinds of stuff. Such as: Otis and I did a drive-by squishing of Soapy up at the garage last night. We were on our way to read papers, but stopped in while he was playing pool with his posse so that Otis could body-check him, scream in his ear, and step on his foot. Um, yeah.

So, I have been doing research for the class I will be teaching in Summer, The Rhetoric of Comics. Get this: If you do a Google search for "rhetoric of comics" there are only eleven results - and one of them is me! Try it yourself.

Speaking of Google searches, look what I tripped over recently:



How's that for a confluence of themes? (We need an updated version with a Utilikilt.)

Wheylona has clearly communicated her itinerary for her upcoming visit; I wonder if Neds will?

5 comments:

John said...

"Indian Lawman Pow-Pow Smith" has to be the greatest redsploitation name ever.

Walaka said...

"Pow Wow Smith" was a monicker laid on the character by the townspeople of Elkhorn, where he did his lawman work, first as deputy and later as full-fledged sheriff. His real name was Ohiyesa, which means "Winner" in the Sioux dialect he grew up with back in Red Deer Valley. When he started exploring white society, he tried to use his real name. Eventually, he gave in to the inevitable and became Pow Wow Smith in everyday life, reverting back only when visiting home. His main supporting character was his deputy, Hank Brown. He also picked up a fiancee, Fleetfoot, along the way. Racial issues usually didn't concern him — he was liked and accepted by the Elkhorn populace, with only mild grumbling from an occasional curmudgeon (who was usually converted by the end of the story).

From Don Markstein's Toon0pedia

Ned said...

I do believe my itinerary consists of no more than: arrive Seattle 17 Dec; leave Seattle 8 Jan.

Since everyone I know has conveniently relocated themselves back to Seattle, there will be no greater metropolitan Vancouver/Portland area trips-within-a-trip. Sadly, it's an end of an era.

Courtney Putnam said...

Yay! Nedra is coming to town!

John said...

Ach, I misread. "Pow POW Smith" would have been the coolest name ever, but "Pow WOW Smith" is just kinda lame.