Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day

While I am here and now, being thankful for the early morning still before what will be a fun and festive day, my mind rolled back to Thanksgiving Days past, when I was a kid, and thought less about the wonder of my privileged (and problematic) life and more about turkey, toys, and a long weekend off from school.

Growing up back in The City, the (pre-VHS, pre-DVD, pre-Bitorrent, only-source-for-old-movies) local TV could be counted on to play the same two movies each Thanksgiving. I can't recall if they were aired on Thursday or Friday, but I do remember that they never interfered with The Dinner and that I always enjoyed watching them.



This little operetta was a surreal trip, although the presence of Laurel and hardy was a bit confusing. The climactic battle between toy soldiers and bogeymen was thrilling!



The one, the only, the classic. It even had some of the scenes that were later cut out.

Nice memories, although it was a little disorienting to realize that as ancient as these films are, less time had passed between their making and my watching than has passed from my watching them then to my remembering now. Le sigh.

Whatever your happy memories are, I hope they come back to you today. Enjoy the holiday, and let us be thankful for all we have had and well as what he have.

1 comment:

"Yojimbo_5" said...

Nothing says the Holidays so much as the Kong of Kings

"hygemu" = when all the cows speak the same language